Monday, August 21, 2006

Chicago Illinois

Welcome back to the record of my odyssey of self discovery travelling across the USA. If this is your first visit you may want to read some of the earlier postings to get up to speed. If you're a regular reader, then lets get on with the latest news.

Dropped my bike off in Rapid City last Friday, but not before I'd spent a little money on it and bolted on a few extra bits of chrome that I just couldn't live without. Believe me it was worth every penny. The bike looks great. My only sadness is that I won't see it now for almost a month and the end of the riding season is approaching rapidly.

Flew from Rapid City to Chicago on Saturday afternoon and am now staying at the Holiday Inn City Centre for a few days rest and recuperation, otherwise known as shopping and sightseeing.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I was last in Chicago in 2003 for the Harley Davidson 100th birthday party and it all came back to me very quickly. Felt really at home straignt away. Guess I'm just a city boy at heart. Hit the ground running on Saturday night with a pizza at the restaurant that invented the Chicago deep pan pizza, the Uno Pizzeria and then moved on to the Redhead Piano Bar that stays open 'til 4am. Tried the 1800 brand of tequila and think I might be developing a taste for it - maybe Ed was right after all.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday I went out to Wrigley Field to watch the Chicago Cubs lose to the Cardinals. Weather was perfect and the annual "Air and Water" air display was happening at North Beach just a few miles away, so every so often these amazing military aircraft would roar past the stadium distracting the crowd from the action on the field.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Then Sunday evening went to watch the most hyped movie on the internet "Snakes on a Plane" starring Samual L. Jackson. It is really just an extremely well made B-movie that would appeal more to my 19-year-old son and his friends than to me, but it was a bit of fun and I quite enjoyed it in a "I don't believe I'm really watching this junk food for the eyes" sort of way.

I'm composing this post courtesy of the Apple Store in Michigan Avenue, Chicago's Golden Mile of shopping, and the call of the shops beckons, so must dash. Catch you later.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The end of the riding season ?
Do I detect the equivalent of the fair weather golfer ? I though true devotees kept going all year regardless of the weather. I hope you will show a bit more bottle, and I don't mean Tequila !
BUt we do look forward to the full version of what is obviously a great trip. Keep it up, Pilgrim

9:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Terry,

It sounds like you have had a marvellous trip that fully met your expectations. Have a safe flight home and enjoy your new chrome bits and pieces.

Roger

5:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where have you located your tatoo?

3:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Terry,
I imagine you will be back home by now, getting the photos sorted and catching up with family and friends. Really enjoyed hearing about your travels. It sounded like the trip of a lifetime and definitely one to do at your age!!!! Must get a bike, but on second thoughts, perhaps not...

regards
Ann

10:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We appreciate that clearing the small overdraft on your credit card is without doubt a priority but we would love to have the final chapter of your expedition

10:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home